The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram is a ceremonial magic ritual devised and used by the order of the Golden Dawn that is now a mainstay in modern occultism. This ritual is used to banish any chaotic or impure forms from your circle. It is considered a great tool in psychic defense. When I am in a magical flow, I will perform this ritual in the morning and before bed. I find that it helps banish any lingering negative emotions that I might be carrying with me, allowing me to start and end days with a clean slate.
Part I – The Qabalistic Cross
- Stand in the center of the room and face East. Imagine that you are a towering figure and the Earth is a tiny sphere below you. Feel yourself as the center of the universe.
- Look up into space and imagine a sphere of white brilliance. See the light descend to the top of your head.
- Reach out with your right hand and pull the light down do your forehead. As you do this, vibrate the word ATAH.
- Move your hand down to your heart, pulling the light through you to the ground below. Tapping on your forehead, vibrate the word MALKUTH. Imagine the shaft of light running through you, connecting the source from above your head to the Earth below.
- Touch your right shoulder and imagine the beam of light passing through your right side into space. Vibrate the word VE’GEBURAH.
- Touch your left shoulder and imagine the beam of light extending through your left side into space. Vibrate the word VE’GEDULAH.
- Bring your hands together as if praying and vibrate LE’OLAM, AMEN. You are now standing in the center of a cross of light that reaches the ends of the universe.
Part II – Formulation of the Pentagrams
- Step forward to the East and use your finger or wand to trace a large banishing pentagram in the air before you. Draw it in blue light, starting in the Earth Point of the Pentagram at your left hip. Vibrate YHVH (yode-hey-vah-hey).
- Do not drop your hand. Move to face the South and draw another pentagram. This time vibrate the word ADNI (ah-do-nye).
- Turn to the West. Draw a pentagram and vibrate AHIH (eh-hey-yay).
- Turn to the North. Draw your final pentagram and vibrate AGLA (ah-glah).
Part III – Invocation of the Archangels
- Return to the East. Visualize an angel before you. Hold your arms open in a cross and say, “Before me, RAPHAEL.” Feel an airy breeze on your face.
- Visualize an angel behind you and say, “Behind me, GABRIEL.” Feel a light moisture on your back.
- Look to your right hand and say, “On my right hand, MICHAEL.” Feel the heat of a fire warm your palm.
- Look to your left hand and say, “On my left hand, URIEL.” Feel the sense of solidarity with the Earth.
- Face forward again and say, “For around me shines the pentagram, and within my shines the six-ray star.”
- Complete the Qabalistic Cross one more time to complete the ritual.